(no subject)

I think my body's finally getting used to waking up at 5:15. Today I didn't have to get up til 7:30, but I couldn't sleep past 5:30. Yesterday I taught for most of the hour for all my Spanish classes. We did some review and went over the geography of the spanish speaking countries. It went pretty well. The kids got involved and didn't seem too bored. I was able to incorporate some of my personal travel stories (encouraged by my co-op teacher), which the kids loved. I think it's safe to say they will not miss Montevideo, Uruguay on the quiz. And I got the best compliment from my co-op teacher. She said that I'm a natural teacher. I gleamed the rest of the day. I'm just relieved that I don't totally suck. I'm really excited for this year because I know I'll be learning so much. Next week I'm going to observe some other teachers during my prep hour to see some other teaching styles.

Today I'm working til 8 and then I'm going home and cuddling on the couch with Ryan and the dogs and watching a movie. Yesterday I got home from school at 5:30, and then Ryan and I went to play disc golf with Brian and Traci. Afterwards they came over to our place, but I couldn't stay awake. I felt bad I kept falling asleep. This week I haven't been able to stay up past 10 or 11. Tomorrow I have to hem my new work pants and suit jackets. I got 2 suits at Target for around $60!

Weekend Update...

Cookie is settling in nicely. We actually were able to keep both of them on the floor for most of the night last night (2 dogs and 2 newly weds in 1 queen bed is not good). There's been a little growling between the 2, but nothing terrible. As long as you pay attention to both of them they're fine. Cookie is really a sweetie. I was nervous to get a 2nd dog, but Ryan wanted her so much I couldn't refuse, and now I'm glad we have her. Yesterday we had Ryan's grandparents, parents, brothers and their g/f's over for a bbq. I was a little worried because Friday night I discovered I had a nasty sinus infection and felt terrible on Saturday, but luckily work let me go early so I could head to urgent care for some drugs. So, by yesterday I was feeling better and we hauled ass to get the house clean. It was a good time with minimal craziness (that tends to come with having family over). I'm just sad I couldn't hang out with Kim and Suz on Friday. Can we try for this Friday? Now I'm procrastinating on the massive amounts of binders and books I have to go through before tomorrow, and didn't get done earlier because I got sick. I'm teaching a lesson on the geography of spanish speaking countries on thursday or friday. I'm nervous, but excited. I figure the best way to get over my anxiety is to get my first lesson over with.

The newest addition to our family...

Ryan took Harmony to meet Corkie today and things went well, so he brought her home. We're changing her name to Cookie though. Thanks for the suggestion Sara. So far things are going well. She's a cutie, even with those east west eyes. It's hard to tell when she's looking at you, but she's very sweet.

Collapse )

(no subject)

After the 2nd night of no sleep due to Harmony's leaky bum Ryan took her to the vet today. Eighty some dollars later and she seems to be doing better. And I guess we've been giving her too many treats because she's gained 1 1/2 lbs since we've gotten her, and the vet thinks she's getting too chunky. I should get better at walking her more, that way both of us can slim down, lol. =)

And I forgot to mention earlier this week that my parents' new place is beautiful. You'd never know it's a modular home. It's very open and spacious and has a great view of the lake. It's so strange that after going up to the tiny, run down cottage all my life, there's now a beautiful home in its place. Also, my parents are still fighting, but they're not talking about divorce and things look like they'll improve with time. My mom got a job at a tanning salon. It's part-time, for minimum wage and 30min away. The only reason she took it is because of her fighting with dad. The gas she spends will eat up her check. She's been applying for other jobs, but there's not much up there and nothing pays well.

(no subject)

Mariana sent me a picture of Juan Manuel, one of Natalia's twins. You can see Natalia (Mariana's oldest sister) as well. Despite being born 3 months early they're both doing really well. I want to go back so badly to meet them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Doggy update...

So remember http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6678858? Well, Ryan and I had given up hope on her because the rescue hadn't contacted us and it's been about 6 weeks now. But the foster mom called yesterday (actually it's the same foster mom that had Harmony). We're playing phone tag right now, but hopefully we'll be able to set up a meeting asap, so that we can see if Corkie and Harmony get along. If we get her we have to come up with a better name though. Any suggestions?

I'm suprised I'm still excited about a new dog after the night I had. I came home from work yesterday to see that Harmony had gotten into the trash, and had diarrhea. All night she woke me up every 2 hours to go outside, and I had to be at work at 6 this morning. I was a little nervous to leave her, but she was drinking and eating still and acted very energetic and playfull, not sick at all. I locked her in the kitchen though with her dog bed and blanket, to minimize any cleaning when I get home.

I just finished Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado. It's about the Uruguayan rugby team, whose flight crashed into the Andes. It's excellent. Parrado is one of the survivors and gives his own account, describing the emotional journey they went through. Some parts are hard to read (i was on the verge of tears at work yesterday as i read it), but it's fascinating. Next I think I'm going to read The Color of Water, which Kim lent me.

(no subject)

Ryan and I subscribed to the Sunday paper yesterday. We kept meaning to do it since my dad had canceled his, but hadn't gotten around to it. Lucky for us a nice 14-year-old knocked on our door last night selling newspaper subscriptions as a college fundraiser. So, not only did we get the subscription we wanted, we helped a kid, and got a $10 gift card to Meijer for signing up. So, now Ryan and I will be able to enjoy sharing the paper every Sunday with Harmony lying by our side (ah, the simple pleasures).

We still haven't heard from Corkie's foster mom. I don't understand what's taking so long. I was really hoping to get her before school starts. I guess we'll see. I'm keeping an eye out for other dogs, just in case.

Yesterday Lexus head quarters people came to visit, and brought 3 new Lexi with them. We didn't get to drive them or anything, but the demonstration was neat. They gave us all Lexus sweatshirts. Finally, they gave us a practical gift. I guess I shouldn't complain because they don't have to give us anything, but last x-mas they gave us little model lexuses. Mine just collected dust until I gave it to the salvation army. At least this is something I can use, though I doubt I'll wear it out of the house.

After work today I'm going straight up to my grandma's. She feels horrible about missing the wedding because she got sick, so I'm bringing her lots of pictures and the video Don gave me. I'm spending a couple nights there, then heading up to my parent's place. It'll be nice to see the new house, but I'm not looking forward to being in the middle of their tension, but oh well. Ryan's staying home with Harmony because he has to work, and leaves for Ohio Monday.

Doggy update...

So, I was having doubts about getting a 2nd dog mainly because Ryan and I will be very busy this year, and we'll have limited funds. But Ryan broke me down and convinced me that a 2nd dog is essential. =) So, hopefully this one's foster mom will be calling tonight to set up a visit.

I would die for this one http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6521352 (isn't he the cutest thing ever), but he's not up for adoption yet, ryan and i really don't want a puppy and we can't really afford a dog with long term medical expenses. He's ridiculously cute though.

If Corkie somehow falls through we also applied for http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6821816, but I'm not sure how easy it is to adopt outside of the US. Anyway, we we're looking forward to the addition to our family. =)

(no subject)

Thursday night Kim and I went to a sex toy party at Alyssa's. I had never been to one before and it was pretty fun, though the woman who put it on was pretty stuffy, especially for being a sex toy consultant. Alyssa made a drink called Pink Panty Pull Down, and it was very tasty. Spike, Alyssa and Danny's boston terrier puppy, got his thrills by humping my arm. At least he was at the right party.

Friday Lindsay and I took our little sisters to the zoo. We wanted to do one big thing before we get busy with school. Norma and Mirium's mom made us burritos (with homemade tortillas!!) for lunch and they were delicious. We had a beautiful day and a good time was had. The girls seemed to really enjoy it, and I only got a little sunburned.

Tomorrow Ryan and I are going to take Harmony to Stoney Creek to see how she likes the water and to do some roller blading. I think it'll be nice to spend a day together, enjoy what's left of summer. I'm not sure what we're doing tonight, probably just watch some netflix.

Parents again...

I just got this e-mail from my mom:

dear Kelly,
Just thought you might rethink you visit and tell Claude and Cheryl also. Your Dad new I was still smoking and is done with me. He took all the money into a private account, left me $1000.00 and told me to get a job. I'm having trouble coping and would not be much company.

So, yeah. I haven't talked to her yet because I don't want to call her from work (because it most likely will result in me crying), so I'm going to try to get more info after work. But this is the 3rd time my dad's caught her smoking and freaked out and I'm not sure if he'll get over it again (yes, he's that hard headed). I just don't know what's going to happen. I know this is really selfish, but part of me is just so glad that they're away, and Ryan and I have our own place, so I don't have to live with their crap, but at the same time I feel really guilty for feeling that way, and I feel bad I'm not there to help. This just sucks hardcore. I'm still planning on visiting them next weekend.